Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Personal Wednesdays - 5 Goals

For pretty much everyone, there are days when you look back at your life and wonder what you have accomplished. To be honest, I think I have accomplished a lot in the past 5 years since graduating college. I got married, got a wonderful job with the most amazing coworkers and bought a house. But, for some reason, I feel like there should be more. It is not really ambition, but trying to find God's true calling for me. We all only get one life and I don't want to waste it.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, my wife's coworker came over for dinner and he gave us this book called "The 4-Hour Workweek". It's a book that describes how work can sometimes handcuff you from doing what you really want to do in life. It isn't about becoming rich, per se. Instead, it is about using your time more prudently, so you can experience the things you always wanted to by defining set goals and how you will accomplish them. I thought it was a very eye opening experience and really gave me motivation to better myself.

This is why I have come up with 5 goals for myself over the next 6 months. I can't say that I'll accomplish all of them but I think it is a good practice to set for ourselves so we don't become complacent.

1. Learn Conversational Cantonese - My wife is from Hong Kong and it always feels awkward when I try to speak with some of her friends or family without knowing cantonese. Therefore, I plan to setup flash cards, take online lessons and speak with my wife daily in cantonese to be fluent at conversational cantonese by the end of the year.

2. Learn Basic Japanese - This is more of a goal to prepare for my vacation. I think I may get a little lazy with this one as I'll be learning Cantonese too, but I'll try! :)

3. Get Lakers Season Tickets, but pay for them outside of my regular income - Having Laker Season Tickets has always been a dream of mine, but even I know that this one may be hard to achieve. How will I get the money to pay for these outside of my regular income? Work a second job? Volunteer my body? Most likely not. But I'll figure this one out slowly. :)

4.Get a Six Pack - Well, this may simply be a matter of discipline. I don't think i've ever had a six pack in my life, but I definitely think this is achievable. I'm only 26 and working out on a regular basis at the gym each week. Why can't I achieve a six pack? I'll go on a stricter diet, do more reps on my abs and really be disciplined about schedule.

5. Get 1000 unique visitors at my blog - For this goal, I will definitely need your help. :)

For those who are interested, I highly recommend the book. I'm only a quarter of a way through but it is a very good read so far. It could potentially change your outlook on how you are living your life.

1 comment: